Friday, May 13, 2011

The Corner Stone of Industriousness

Looking at the corner stone of the pyramid of success you will find the word industriousness.  I recall the first time I read the word and thought to myself of conveyor belts and a line of factory workers.  Now of coarse I said to myself that's got to be the opposite of what I would perceive as a stepping stone to success.  Well as you might have guessed I had misunderstood what the word not only meant but also didn't comprehend the significants of its placement as a corner stone.  Industriousness as Coach Wooden understood it meant true work at your highest capacity; fully engaged, totally focused, and completely absorbed.
How many people do you know that can be defined as Industrious, by that definition.  Well I know the answer for me was NOT MANY and if someone knows where they hang out let me know because I would like to meet them.  I think about the people I often come in contact with including myself, and we are quite the opposite.  We are always looking for an easier way, a faster way, a way that does not require us to completely commit 100% or get uncomfortable.  That's no way to live, thats the definition of a loser, "Oh I will give it a try."  We need to remember what Yoda said in The Empire Strikes Back, "Do or do not, there is no try."
If we want to live the life of our dreams, we are going to have to pay a price and stop looking for it to go on sale.  One of those prices to pay is doing what others will not do, at a level of engaged focus, that others lack the discipline to maintain, to live how most will never live.  Isn't that the real reward of having Industriousness.  To know that no matter what you gave it all you had and when you reflect on your efforts you have no regrets.  I know this is something that I personally need to work on while I stop comparing my results to others.  The only one we need to compare ourselves to is the person who looked you in the mirror yesterday.  If we can say that we are better then we where yesterday and we did all we could do today to grow as much as we possibly could, we should rest easy at night knowing we made the most of our most valuable asset which we are all running out of, TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember we always want to share ideas and perspectives, and always want to be respectful of others. Anyone found not respecting others will have me go NINJA on them!!